Tuesday, August 19, 2014

a quiet time

One of the oddities of being outside a major urban area, is the lack of wildlife. It was almost startling how few birds and animals were around. You see many more varieties in the city than at the cottage, which is not exactly what you expect.

there were some very noisy blue jays
and this hungry robin


and a hungry bunny

and quite a few gulls on the windy beach
as well as many crows and vultures

but I sortof missed the raccoons, of which Toronto has about 2 million

I did see a deer on the side of the road, actually he was standing in the oncoming lane of the two lane highway and fortunately, for him and us, he bolted back into the forest.

6 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful - and close up - photos! I'm assuming you took all of them, so great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. there was some serious cropping done in some of them (esp the vulture!)

      Delete
  2. I always find it strange at the cottage how few birds I hear in the morning. When we bought the place I thought I'd wake to the sound of birdsong. Nope. Totally quiet, whereas in town I hear birds all the time. And here I thought it was just me. Glad to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we decided it was all the garbage we have in the city, but birds, bunnies and squirrels don't eat garbage, so.... who knows.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you didn't do too badly for wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the deer was exciting (and a little nervewracking) but the others... the great outdoors could have done better.

      Delete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!