Monday, September 14, 2015

Fairy Lake

Although Southampton sits right on Lake Huron, there is also a smaller, littler lake at the eastern edge of High Street.
First, we come to the brand new stage
where Sunday concerts are held all summer. I listened to a bluegrass band on the one Sunday I was in town, but there is a band for every musical taste if you can attend any Sunday evening. Bring a chair, or blanket and sit back and enjoy!

The concert area is very nice, and a big improvement over the temporary blue tarp clamshell that was there. But, while one is always grateful for toilet facilities, I can't help thinking that perhaps a matching permanent structure would have complemented the new stage.

Surrounding the lake is a nature path that is easy to walk, and doesn't take very long.
the lake is behind the Bruce County Museum
 which includes this log cabin and schoolhouse

if you have a keen eye, you may spot some basking turtles
this bench probably had a lovely view a few years ago before the trees grew so wild









but the bench below now has a better view after storms broke these trees and they were cut for safety
bowing down to the water

Although I deliberately made a point of walking this trail early in the morning, it was already getting very hot. The dappled shade was most pleasant and welcoming






The only 'memorial' was this stone
Dedicated to the enduring legacy of Albert and Helen Eagles 
on Ab's 100th birthday March 28th, 2013.
I did some research when I got home to a computer and did not see any death notices for Ab, so this year he celebrated his 102nd birthday. For his 101st birthday there was a facebook page and website dedicated to 101 ways Ab has made a difference in the world. Ab was in the lumber and building supplies business and retired in 1997. The Eagles have family and friends flung far and wide and as I continued walking, I daydream that had I lived in Southampton (which I almost wish I do) I, too, would have known them.
Fairy Lake supplied water for a tannery that was built in 1880. But, in 1900, there was a devastating fire and it was never rebuilt. This wheel was dredged from the lake in 1983.


We have almost made it around the lake
and while I was disappointed at not seeing the two swans, or the egret, I did catch some mallards flying away 
and a few more seeking out any bit of shade nearest the water they could find

and for a quarter (.25¢) you can buy some corn feed for the ducks (the green ones seem to be newer ones and lack the decorative finial)




and finally, 
here is a view from a previous walk showing the old bandshell that matched the water tower
for a Monday Escape
a little walk around a little lake for Restless Jo
with a few signs for Lesley

17 comments:

  1. Oh now that is a hike and a place I would love to visit. Sounds like Ab is quite the man. Thanks for sharing. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small towns have a way of embracing people that is not so evident in a city.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely name for a lake, and turtles are almost as good as fairies, aren't they? :) I love the free concerts idea, Violet. It's one of the joys of Tavira that almost every evening in Summer there's an open air stage. Many thanks for your company. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very pleasant way to spend a summery Sunday evening I think - and you don't need to buy food and drink since you're not at a pub ;)

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely area. You do get around don't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love this part of the province. And this is such a nice, manageable walk.

      Delete
  4. This looks like a very pretty trail. Love the turtles. I also had a look at the page for Mr Eagles - what a wonderful, heart-warming idea.
    Anabel's Travel Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm glad you checked out the link. I'm never sure if people are as interested as I am in these little extras.

      Delete
  5. This really was like a little escape...what a lovely place to go for a walk, or to go and just sit and think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and there were so many benches to sit on, too! some were made of logs and some some were boards on logs. they fit right in and were not fancy.

      Delete
  6. Interesting place. Did you happen to see any fairies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Along with the lack of swans, the lack of fairies was also a disappointment.

      Delete
  7. I've been to Southampton a few times, but never ventured down this path.
    (and I agree about the 'facilities'!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit hidden - you have to go farther on High St towards the hospital or you might miss it altogether.

      Delete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!