Wednesday, September 7, 2016

watch out for pedestrians

here are a few road signs I found on my recent drive through Quebec 

the stop signs all give you precise diagrams of where to stop, and who else at the intersection is expected to stop
the area I was in was mostly rural and I saw no buses - but there seems to be some sort of car-pooling
these ones in the middle of the road always took me by surprise!
not entirely sure why they are in that location instead of at the side of the road 
(chausée partagée means shared road 
underneath, it says to watch out for pedestrians)
and this one on the left I found quite endearing - watch for our children, 
drive with love
but the one on the right was rather off-putting - watch for our children, 
it could be yours

something to ponder for signs, signs

16 comments:

  1. I got the message from some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, I really don't get the last one. It seems awkwardly phrased, and it doesn't even look like an image of a child on the sign.

      Delete
  2. Fine sentiments on those traffic signs. I thought perhaps that last sign was Watch Out for Bathing Beauties. It certainly is not a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very odd. And when I tried to google it, I found that most other people found it odd as well.

      Delete
  3. I shall show this post to my five-year-old grandson, who LOVES road signs. Not quite as much as he loves traffic lights, but nearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good. It is always great to find that other people love road signs, too!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. they are quite different from signs in Ontario, for sure! My friends thought I was a bit crazy for taking these pics.

      Delete
  5. Interesting road signs. Adore the message of the second last one. But I agree with you about the last one - somehow the intention is lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know what the last one meant - all I understood was "watch for children", but I almost thought it meant to watch for children lying around the cul-de-sac.

      Delete
  6. Having the universal octagonal stop sign is a good thing as many other pictorial signs can be confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found Quebec signs to be much more graphic than Ontario ones. And more interesting.

      Delete
  7. Quebec and Morocco are the only two places I've ever seen "arret" stop signs! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. So interesting and you are right that last one is awkward. I don't think I'd be real comfortable driving in Quebec. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I could actually get the basic meaning of most of those ... How long ago was it when both our countries started using those picture signs? I know we didn't have them when I was a child.

    I much prefer the kinder gentler version of the warning sign , on the last two pics.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!