Sunday, August 20, 2017

cinematography

I chose this stamp set for C for camera. But with a little research, I find that it is so much more than a camera.
The eye in the lens of the left stamp is a little freakish, but I hadn't even noticed the Man with a Camera on top of the movie camera on the right stamp. The date is 1929, and Dziga Vertov, with help from his wife, Elizaveta Svilova, and his brother Mikhail Kaufman, produced an experimental documentary silent film with no actors. It is a montage of urban life in and around a Russian city by following an avid camera man. Sort of an early version of A Day in the Life using a wide array of camera angles and editing techniques. There are numerous reviews and analyses on line if you care to check them out. Wikipedia, bless its soul, even has a convenient link to the film. If you are interested in cinematography, then this avant-garde film may be just your thing. It has been considered by some to be the greatest documentary film of all time.

for more silent stamps of the C variety, look here

8 comments:

  1. That left hand stamp is a little freaky. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are unusual camera related stamps. Intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the second one but the first with the eyeball kind of wigs me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, how the hell are you?? Been a long time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. great word for C, and stunning stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great word for C, and stunning stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating piece of history and filmmaking. I will have to have a look at it when I have time. Eye-catching stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of those stamps are surreal ... I saw the eye before I read your words, but am not sure I would have ever noticed the little cameraman..... had certainly never heard of the film and it seems amazing that someone did that way back then.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!