Thursday, February 7, 2013

Anne with an e

postcard from Prince Edward Island, sent by Heather

You have probably heard about the cover of the new edition of the beloved Anne of Green Gables. For unknown reasons Amazon has republished the book with a new look Anne.

It portrays a sultry, buxom blonde who is definitely not 10 years old as our Anne was when introduced to us on her journey with Matthew to Green Gables.











When I was about 10 years old (in the late '70s) our family made a trip down east and we visited the Green Gables house in Cavendish PEI. I came home with a box set of the first three books. Years later, when my niece was around 10 years old (in the late '80s) I offered her the set. She took one look at the cover of these older books and claimed that that was not the real Anne. I still have the set.

Everyone knows that this is the real Anne, as portrayed by Megan Follows in 1985.





I am sharing this with Postcard Friendship Friday, for all the kindred spirits out there.




14 comments:

  1. I loved the Ann books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Anne books and films and television minis. My daughter, now all grown up loves them. And being a redhead and very adventurous, she felt a strong kindred bond to the sweet Anne. The new cover is nonsense. I hope mothers everywhere avoid it like the plague. Take THAT, Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too loved the Anne books and this new cover is kind of distressing! Ha
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who does Amazon think they are? They can't do that to Anne. a buxum blonde, it just doesn't work. Strange.
    Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you f-ing kidding me? That's supposed to be Anne?

    Huh, I couldn't find that particular cover at Amazon. I was so gonna send it to my friends...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it seems the CreateSpace publication is now listed as 'temporarily out of stock' and the photo of the cover taken down!!

      Delete
  6. When I think of Prince Edward Island, I remember a sketch comedy bit by the late great John Candy. It was a riff on "Magnum PI". Candy was detective: "Magnum PEI".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely stories. I hate the look of the new Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. What on earth have they done! She's supposed to have red hair, isn't she? Am I remembering it wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no. her whole being was tied up in her red hair and freckles.

      Delete
  9. Really?! That is just amazing. WOW! Anne has RED hair and is a pre-teen. Wow. Good gravy!

    Thanks for this post--I wonder if anyone at Amazon has ever READ the book?!

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm shocked to find I haven't read the books! And of course your last Anee is the true Anne. Must get the books from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the book as a child and feel I must read it again because I know I'd still love it.
    That child on the new book cover is far too worldly to be Anne. Completely wrong.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  12. How dreadful Someone should take the publisher to court for fraud.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!