Monday, October 27, 2014

show who you are

  Back in September, there was a Fashion Night on PC Hooftstraat in Amsterdam. This is a street full of luxury shops, like Prada, Tiffany's, Chanel, Michael Kors, Jimmy Choo, Louis Vuitton... you get the idea.  This would be your chance to walk in to any of these stores and perhaps not feel out of place (or at least have someone acknowledge you while knowing you are not likely to buy anything). The street was closed to traffic and filled with fashionistas shopping, posing, eating and drinking, photographing...
some people watched from above in their apartment balconies, but the most fun was down on the street with the crowds and the offers of a glass of bubbly and some cheese or chocolate, or maybe ice cream















there was entertainment that included musicians and dancers. you can read a review of the night here

and people taking photos of the other glamorous people                                  
as well as a horse drawn carriage


I was quite fascinated by the footwear, but as it was getting dark and the feet were usually moving it was hard to get many good shots. none of these shoes look particularly comfortable.

In the end, I didn't buy anything although my cousin couldn't resist and managed to carry a bag or two. it's a short street, only about 3-4 blocks, so much of the time you saw the same people (especially those with the more outstanding fashion sense) walking back and forth...


and Lesley's signs, signs

16 comments:

  1. Even some 'oldsters' getting in the act. Cool. I'm afraid my idea of 'style' is making sure everything important is covered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes - all ages were there. I thought about commenting on them, but decided to just let the photo tell a tale of two old friends who possibly do everything in unison ;)

      Delete
  2. Heels seem to get higher and higher (or is that me getting older and older?) I love looking. Not so good at wobbling about in :) Many thanks for the totter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never mastered the art of walking in high heels. it stopped me, but no so millions of other women. looking at some of them tottering precariously on the uneven cobbled streets had me holding my breath at times!

      Delete
  3. How glad I am that I don't feel the need to wear shoes like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as am I.
      I do, however, quite like the older lady's' boots!

      Delete
  4. Not sure I'd want to buy anything from these stores, but I think the event is nice. I have never liked the "snobby" feel of some high-end shops. Good that they can open to us regular peeps at least once a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never like how I feel so inferior when in these shops.

      Delete
  5. It looks like it was a fun time, Violet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was fun! I'm glad C knew about it and planned the trip accordingly.

      Delete
  6. My entire "Wardrobe" consists of jeans and tee shirts...what a fashion plate I am! Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could relate more to you than to that guy above with the topknot!

      Delete
  7. That is so fun! I love seeing things in blogs tha I'll never in my life really see. That older couple looks quite stylish ... Obviously they don't subscribe to the same credo I do ... That now it doesn't matter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would never be able to walk in any of those shoes! This looks like a fun event. I would have gone for the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So enjoyed this post because of your people photos.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!