Thursday, July 14, 2016

grave post - Keroack

Maurice-Louis-Alexandre Kérouac dit Lebrice arrived in New France between 1721-1726. He settled in Kamouraska where he married Louise Bernier and had four sons. In his new home he was a merchant trader and as he was preparing to leave for France on business was taken ill suddenly and died on 6th March, 1736.
It seems Maurice-Louis Alexander was originally known as Urban-Francois, born in Brittany. While living in England and working as a royal notary he got himself into a spot of trouble which necessitated that he leave the country after being accused of robbery and attempted rape. 
He changed his name once he settled in New France, taking on the name le Brice (also spelled le Bris), but keeping de Keroac/Keroack/Kervoach. Unfortunately, he never quite settled on one spelling. His son, Alexandre has the name  Kirouac.
One of his descendants would be Jack Kerouac, the French Canadian, American born author who's name at birth was Jean-Louis Lebris de Kérouac but is Jean Louis Kirouac on his baptismal certificate. It seems to be a family tradition.

9 comments:

  1. I have read Jack Kerouac's books, but had no idea this family name had gone through such transformations. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither had I. In fact, I didn't even realize there was a connection until I did some research on this name!

      Delete
  2. Ancestry tells the family much. Never read the books, but will give them a look see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not been a big fan of his work, but then I'm not even sure I've read all of On the Road! I mostly know it by reputation.

      Delete
  3. Interesting variations - so comparatively recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to happen more often than you expect, I've discovered. Though often it is with names using a different alphabet!

      Delete
  4. Very interesting post! I learned something I wouldn't have known or thought to know about, even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. blogging has a way of expanding one's horizons!

      Delete
  5. A really informative post.
    Have a wonderful Sunday and thank you for your visit :)

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!