Thursday, March 31, 2011

evens

I like to keep things in a tidy order. My books are organized on the bookshelf just so, by genre, author and size. I once had to get rid of a book because it was a completely different size and design from the rest in the series. It was eventually replaced and I felt much calmer. My appointment books have been the same for several years (though it is good to change the colour every once in a while) and it has been only two different styles except for 2002 and 2007. It still grates when I look in the drawer and see those mismatched books that didn't work out as well as I thought they might.

I wonder why a large coffee is $1.52 and a medium is $1.33. Could Tim Hortons not have rounded off the prices to make it come to an even $1.50 and $1.35 with tax?

And then there is the gas pump. I always have to have the paid amount end in either a 5 or a 0. I will continually, slowly, jerkily, squeeze that trigger until the number is right. I do this, even though I always pay by credit card and because it is a business expense, I have a credit card dedicated to auto maintenance. All I need to do is add up the totals from my monthly statement. But I like the tidiness of the figures.

So you know that when I was scrolling down through my blog and noticed that I had only written nine posts for the whole month of March - out of 30 days, I only found something to write about nine times? - and that for both January and February I had 10 posts each, that I would have to quickly write another one by the end of today.

13 comments:

  1. You should have been here helping me with my books. How do you cope with the hardback copies of a book being so much larger than the paperback, and what do you do about it?
    Obviously you are not content to consider the monthly average? And why should you be, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of understand exactly what you wrote about here. Especially the gas pump part. And the appointment/agenda books. And the unrounded-off coffee prices. So do we share the same brain or something??

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I get older...the more I want things to be orderly and tidy! I have been going through the entire house and doing just that. Now I am in my art studio and boy is my work cut out for me there. But I am determined! I will succeed!!!!!
    So I do understand!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like it when things cost 4.99. I think that's silly. Make them cost 5.00 or 4.95. We don't have pennies in this country anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a very meticulous and tidy person. Very pedantic and this makes life not easy for yourself. I am different, I am tidy but not overly. I am very easy going, and if a hick up in my daily pursuits tries to bother me I build a bridge and get over it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this V - it makes me feel just a little less insane. I am not ALONE!!!

    - Jazz

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are more meticulous than me by far.
    Wish I was a bit more like you!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  8. persiflage: there are some books that must be in hardcover and I have a system for which ones those are. but mostly, I buy paperback. on the shelves, the hardcovers are at the ends.

    pinklea: sometimes I wonder where my brain is - maybe that is when it is with you?!

    SueAnn: strangely, I am becoming a little less fanatical about my orderliness as I get older. it may just be laziness.

    Nora: there has been talk of getting rid of the penny for years.... I have too many to use up so I hope it doesn't happen in the next year or so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jazz: doesn't it feel great to know that someone else has the same crazy tendencies?

    Titania and Maggie May: don't be too fooled.... but I do wish I were a little more easy going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post made me smile. I WISH I could be as tidy as you...but I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scary how much you sound like me...LOL! I may not get to vacuum as often as I should, but those books must all be lined up properly. I buy many of mine used, and will definitely only get ones in the same series. I'm currently collecting the full set of Master and Commander, and keep seeing copies of every title I still need, just not the right editions!

    Good thing we have a sense of humour about ourselves...:)

    Lynette
    Imagination Lane

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am fussy about evenness in some areas (like my appointment books) but not at all in others. Now that gas is so expensive, the numbers move too quickly for me to worry about making them even anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. EGWow: I am not tidy with everything...

    Lynette: it is the numbers I am obsessed with - I need the same edition of any series, and I need the whole series!

    SAW: about the gas thing, I know, but now it has become a challenge. I feel like I have beat the odds if I can get it to stop at an '5' or '0'.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!