Wednesday, October 31, 2012

grave post - pardes shalom

Another thing I noticed about this particular Jewish cemetery (admittedly, the only one I have spent any time in) were the personal tributes on the markers. I don't know if it is because this is a 20th century cemetery (it was created in the 1970s) and maybe this is a modern reflection, but I found it very touching to read these remembrances. They seemed to be a celebration of a life lived rather than the Victorian desperation of a reward in heaven.
above we have the traditional menorah for the woman and the Star of David for the man along with their relationships within their family - many listed as 'wife' 'mother', 'bubby' (in all its variant spellings) or 'grandmother' on down to aunt or sister etc.

but the personal memories were the most touching -                   "he sang whenever he had a chance"
I am sorry this one does not show up clearly (though it is more readable in in the photo editing site for some reason. click to embiggen)

"a man who believed in the beauty and power of music to create a world where people can live in peace, harmony and with justice and dignity for all"

"a woman who devoted her life to her community"




as we arrive at the time of year when many cultures are remembering and honouring their dead,
I would like to think that I would be remembered more for my life than my death.

see more honouring of the dead at Taphophile Tragics

10 comments:

  1. With such a beautiful tribute on her gravestone, Joy Harris shines as a woman to be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I could find some more information on her.

      Delete
  2. Nice to read these --- it's touching to see what loved ones put on the markers for these people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if some them you could read between the lines... but I am sure that what was written was often the first thing that came to mind.

      Delete
  3. A lovely tradition to be sure. Maybe mine will say, "Here she lies, but she'd rather not".

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely collection of markers and remembrances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I had a tough time choosing which ones to share.

      Delete
  5. I love the personal tributes - all gravestones should have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my friend and I were quite taken with them, too.

      Delete
  6. Those truly are beautiful!

    Beneath Thy Feet

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!