Sunday, June 21, 2015

cartoons

Always a perennial favourite the world over, I think.  Japan has issued dozens of Peanuts stamps and this series of 'Snoopy and Friends' came out in August 2014.
Another stamp from Japan, but very different from the world of Charles Schulz
 this one is for Fullmetal Alchemist issued in June 2010. It was the thirteenth of the Anime Hero/Heroine Series to be issued (the first was in 2005 and featured Pokémon)
Manga is the comic or cartoon, and Anime is the animation. There is both a comic book series and a television series for Fullmetal Alchemist. I admit, I've never seen it (well, until now when I looked it up). According to animenetwork.com the themes are alchemy, military, steampunk, tragedy. The genre is, as you might have guessed, adventure, drama and fantasy. It was written by Hiromu Arakawa and serialized since 2001 with the television series first produced in 2003 and again in 2009.

The anime I most enjoy is from Hayao Miyazaki's Ghibli Studios. I don't have any Ghibli stamps, but I do have a postcard.
This is for the latest - and sadly, possibly the last - When Marnie Was There. It was sent in July 2014 and sender Akari where it was a 'hot topic' when it opened. It has only recently been shown in Canada and I excitedly dragged a friend of mine to see it. Later, I discovered that you can watch all the Ghibli films on the internet for free, and I've been binge-watching ever since.
(of course, watching on a computer screen is nothing like seeing it on a huge theatre screen. plus I made a new convert with my friend who had never seen any of these movies. so it was well worth the trip.)

see other cartoons or children's drawings on Sunday Stamps II

6 comments:

  1. I've never seen any of the cartoons or movies you mentioned. I really like the postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peanuts is one of my favourites. I've only seen Studio Ghibli films on the small screen but recently was lucky enough to see The Wind Rises on a very big cinema screen, stunning. The sort of film that lives with you for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's not to like about Snoopy? I"m not a big anime fan although I've watched some series with my kids.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!