exp 31 Dec/08
Collectors are buying up the 100 billion agro cheque (bank note) for $80 US on ebay.
for $100,000,000,000 a Zimbabwean can buy a loaf of bread
for $80 an American can buy a tank of gas.
In the Guardian, on 18 July 2008, a report on Zimbabwe's inflation, said that
- an egg costs ZW$50 billion (GBP 0.17, USD 0.32)
- adverts for prizes of Z$100 trillion in a Zimbabwean derby and ZW$1.2 quadrillion ($1,200,000,000,000,000.00: ~GBP 2,100; USD 4,200) in a lottery.
- a monthly war pension currently is ZW$109 billion (GBP 0.37, USD 0.74)
- shops can only cash cheques if the customer writes double the amount, because the cost will go up by the time the cheque has cleared
- people can only withdraw a maximum of ZW$100 billion from cashpoints.
inflation rises so quickly that it is not unknown for 20 people standing line to buy the same item to pay three different prices.