The St Andrew's Society of Toronto was officially formed in 1836 just two years after the City of Toronto was established and is the only one of the Scottish societies from that era to be still active today.
Their original mandate was to help recently arrived Scots to get on their feet in their new home, though now their support is through grants and support of various charities.
This cairn was built in 1890 after a large burial plot was bought in Mt Pleasant Cemetery.
and a bonus - the resident deer takes a stroll behind the cairn
If anyone else has a fascination with such grave subjects, head over to Taphophile Tragics