On the top of the column is a seven foot bronze statue of a Canadian soldier in WWI battle-dress. Designed by Ivor Lewis, it was dedicated in April 1922 by Lord Byng and was moved to this small park beside the city hall in 1962. There are plaques with the names of those men who gave their lives in the two world wars and the Korean War.
The original design for the monument by W.S. Allward included a group of bronze sculptures to represent 'Humanity', consisting of a wounded youth, a resolute mother, a figure praying and a piece of crippled field artillery. However, finances got in the way and the sculptures were never made. The Brant County War Memorial Committee initiated the completion of the Memorial with seven bronze statues designed and sculptured by Helen Granger Young. The figures represent men and women who made the Supreme Sacrifice and commemorate local armed forces Veterans. The statutes were unveiled and dedicated on September 12, 1992.see more memorials at Taphophile Tragics