Saturday, August 18, 2012

home and stuff

If you need some motivation to de-clutter your surroundings, may I suggest a week away at a cabin. One that has just enough furniture to be comfortable and an adequate supply of linens and dishes/cutlery and nothing more. Okay, a pizza cutter might have been handy, but in the end was not essential.

There were no knick knacks or tchotchkes save one pretty little bowl that added some flowery life to the living room and an almost tacky wooden box with a lighthouse painted on it and cubes for changing the date. Both of these turned out to be useful as well as decorative, so can't really be counted as tchotchkes.

When I came home yesterday and saw all my accumulated assortment of stuff, I felt overwhelmed and suddenly almost claustrophobic with it all. Already I have a couple of boxes at the ready and have been quickly tossing in unneeded vases and candleholders and books before I change my mind and start thinking about any supposedly sentimental value. Or the flowers and lit candles in the winter and the pictures in the coffee table books I can look through when the cable goes and the internet is down.... I know that it is just not going to happen. Though the cable does go out occasionally.

I do have two pizza cutters though and I will put one aside to take with me on my next escape trip.

8 comments:

  1. Decluttering is a most time-consuming activity, which requires a certain talent and willingness to act. Cluttering, on the other hand, is quite easy and just happens quite naturally over the course of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (shhh, we won't mention the stuff I bought at various antique stores I found on the road!)

      Delete
  2. I'm with you. I watched an episode of hoarders earlier this week and I've been antsy ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for a long time I was collecting boxes - pretty ones - for storing my hoardings in, but now even those are irritating me. and I keep forgetting what is in the boxes.

      Delete
  3. A pizza cutter is definitely a must have...Ha!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, the knife didn't quite cut it (pun intended!)

      Delete
  4. I am excellent at decluttering. In fact, I just cleaned out my china hutch and weeded out a bunch of useless-to-me things for my give-away box.

    However, I do not own a pizza cutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you drop in, quickly, before school starts. I have wine.

      Delete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!