Tuesday, January 24, 2012

BAC and BPAC

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been doing a whole lot of writing on this blog lately. I need to get out and have more activities (other than collecting postcards and stamps and, now, visiting cemeteries) I did try going out to a different cafe at least once a week with the intention of writing about that experience... but sometimes, nothing interesting happened as I sat and drank my black coffee and read my book (currently Patrick deWitt's Sisters Brothers and Adam Gopnik's Everything but the Table). So I have decided to give myself a theme for the weekly ABC Wednesday challenge and incorporate it into both my photoblog that has better pictures and less words and this one, that is usually more words with a few pictures.

Last week I showed (on Sightlines, go have a look) my favourite art deco house. This week we are on to letter B, which could be for Burlington. I will wander around town taking pictures and telling a story as we progress through the alphabet of things that are specific to where I live.

So, we have BAC and BPAC. First, the Burlington Art Centre. It has been around since 1978 (which is 20 years before I moved here) and has several classes, guilds, exhibits and a wonderful gift shop. There is also a coffee shop, a greenhouse and courtyard. Just to give you an idea, I photographed the fire exit map.
It is a maze of rooms and displays and, sometimes, if you are lucky, you might run into the artist who has show. Gino Lorcini has a stunning exhibit of metal sculptures. I overheard him say that this would be the last exhibit of his work (he is almost 90 afterall!)
A short walk of two blocks or so and we have the brand new Burlington Performing Arts Centre. It has only been open since last fall. I have already tried to get to see two performances but they sold out quickly. One of the nice things about BPAC is that it is a small, intimate theatre with unobstructed views and good sound no matter where you sit. (at the open house I moved around to several seats from orchestra to balcony to the side box seats - all perfect). Every seat in each performance is the same price.

and on Saturday I get to see one!

14 comments:

  1. I came this time through your other site. And who cares about a fancy name? I would rather get the clue of what it is I'm going to find there. Wonderful to have these handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting architecture, - hope you'll enjoy the performance on Saturday:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks to me like there's lots to do in Burlington and that many people are attending. I hope you enjoy the performance on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE Mavis! Have her last two albums!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting buildings, both my favourite type of place to go to. I hope you enjoy the performance on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find the photo of a man who I assume is the gentleman artist intriguing from this perspective. The visual of him standing there in another room through a doorway suggests an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a huge performance center.

    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are two very nice venues. Your town is obviously supports the arts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely building and how nice that they have performances there. The best part, as you say ,is that every seat is the same price. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure do love the buildings!!
    And enjoy your upcoming performance attendance. Have fun
    Hugs
    SUeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the fact that each seat is the same price. Enjoy the performance. I'm sure you'll tell us all about it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. A - Love the art deco house
    B - Books have both the ones you're reading, haven't read 'em yet. So many books, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Busy in Burlington can be your motto. And wow, Mavis Staples in person, bet that was great!
    HelenMac
    ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds great! I can't wait to hear about it. I wonder if she'll do "I'll Take You There" from her Staple Singers days. I love that song.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped by. For anyone who stumbled here, don't be shy to say 'hi' and let me know you've visited!